I’m probably telling my age here, but I can remember the movie from 1952, Road To Bali. The film starred Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour. The heroes of the movie end up on Bali contemplating a marriage where the Lamour’s character can marry both of the suiters. I won’t give away the ending, and will just recommend you watch it yourself. But maybe you would like to visit Bali as well.
Bali is an Indonesian Island located just east of Java. It was originally a surfer’s paradise and now it is a popular tourist destination in Southeast Asia. This ancient island is now a mix of tourist areas and traditional culture. There are so many different ways to experience Bali and it all depends on what it is that you are looking to get out of your trip.
The Different Areas Of Bali
The different areas of Bali will appeal to different people depending on the type of trip that they are planning. Southern, Central, Eastern, and Western Bali all have their own personalities and beauties for those who decide to visit there.
The southern coast of Bali is the tourist mecca of the island. This is the area of the island where you will find the tourist hotels, lively nightlife, and the best bars. There are various cities in southern Bali that will lend themselves to having great offerings for those looking to have the tourist experience.
· Canggu- This is one of the more laid-back towns of this region. It has the type of “surfer” vibe you would find in places like Venice Beach, California and Bondi Beach in Sydney. This is where digital nomads and entrepreneurs choose to live so that they can enjoy artisan beers and organic restaurants.
· Seminyak- This is the town in southern Bali that is going to have the major resort hotels, high-end villas, and the hippest beach bars. If you are looking for a modern-day vacation in Southeast Asia, this is the area for you.
· Jimbaran- This town is dotted with white sand beaches and 5-star resorts. This is a great town for kids because many of the beaches in Bali have rough seas and black volcanic sand. This is a great place to go to for a family vacation.
· Uluwatu/Padang Padang- This area is the surfer’s paradise center of Southern Bali. These beaches are positioned on the Bukit Peninsula, and the waves here should only be ridden by experienced surfers.
· Nusa Dua- This area of Bali is located on the southern-most tip of the island and the beaches here are considered to be the best on Bali. There are 2 distinct areas in this part of Bali; the resort area and the town of Tanjung Benoa with its’ local shops and restaurants.
The central region of Bali is far more than just the geographical center of the island. The central region is also the cultural, historical, and spiritual center of Bali. It is shown in the natural beauty of this region and the ancient traditions that are still carried out to this day.
· Ubud- For decades, this town was a sleepy artist village that was then transformed into its’ own little metropolis. The rice terraces and mountains of this town form the backdrop and base in which to explore the temples, museums, and heart of Bali.
This is the section of Bali that has a down-to-earth atmosphere. It is far more toned down than, say, southern Bali.
· Tulamben- This area is known for its’ scuba diving. There isn’t much else to offer in this area. In the sea, just off the coast, is the wreckage of the USS Liberty. This town is also the perfect jumping off point for those who are headed to the Gili Islands.
· Sanur- This town is the perfect area for family trips. The beach of this mellow town is surrounded by a picturesque coral reef that keeps the waters calmer and shallower. This creates a perfect place for the kids to play. It is also home to the largest children’s playground and café, Peekaboo.
Western Bali is considered to be the most representative of what “real” Bali is. Most of it is mountains, volcanoes, rice paddies, and tourist-free.
· Balian Beach- This is considered to be more of a “secret spot” in Eastern Bali because not many tourists venture there. This black sand beach offers great surfing and wonderful coves to explore with the kids.
Nyanyi- This is the rural area of this section of Bali. If you are traveling here, you are going to want to see the UNESCO Heritage Site of Jati Luwih rice terraces, the Tanah Lot Temple, and Mount Batukaru. This is the area that you will want to go to surround yourself with nature and the history of Bali.
Bali has something to offer for everyone. No matter what type of trip you are looking to take and who is going on the trip, Bali has what you want. Take the time to do a little bit of research and figure out what is going to work best for you. Taking this time will make your trip to Bali perfect and unforgettable.
Are you ready to start planning your next trip (whether to Bali or somewhere else)? I can do the hard work of planning all the details for you. Just give me a call or drop me an email. I hope to hear from you soon.